Monday, October 16, 2006

Karma

Karma karma karma karma karma chameleon
You come and go
You come and go
Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream
Red, gold and green
Red, gold and green


Those catchy lyrics which I used to so blindly reproduce as:

Comma comma comma comma comma chameleon
You come and go
You come and go
Love it would be easy if you love it all like my dream
Red golden gree
Red golden gree

So what exactly is Karma, and why do so many people believe in it? The over-simplified answer is that it's a way for people to explain why things happen in their lives, good and bad, without having to necessarily a)take responsibility or b) acknowledge God.

Clear as mud?

What I've found out though, is that in reality, Karma is very destructive.

People who are born into societies that place huge emphasis on Karma (ie, India), end up totally oppressing a caste of people or accepting that their miserable conditions in life are punishment for inappropriately tripping some royal figure-head while incarnated as a rock in a former life.

Those who end up at the bottom of the barrel really have no hope. No hope in this life, and worse yet, no hope in the life to come. At least from their perspective. The reality we know as Christians is that there really is hope.

If you want to know what Jesus thought of Karma, just read John 9:1-something. It wasn't a new concept in His time here on Earth.

Jesus came so that we may have life, and have it to the full. Here on earth and in the life after.

3 Comments:

At 10/17/2006 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what happened in your day to make you think of karma...maybe that song just popped on the speakers at work or in the restaraunt you had lunch in.

By the way, that was the first time I have ever read the actual lyrics to that song, so THAT'S what he was singing...I got a kick out of your own interpretation. Mine was a lot like yours.

Following karma would drive me crazy. I wouldn't know where my loved ones who died would be. Are they in heaven? Did they reincarnate? Are they another person or an inanimate object? What in the world must that be like to believe that the pesky robin that ate all my strawberries this summer could be the grandma of a girl I was mean to when I was a child? It just doesn't make sense.

Looking up John 9:1-something now! :)

Lovin' would be easy if you'd comma to like my dreams, with golden gree, with golden gree, ee-ee-eee. (That was my version...I never understood that song.)

 
At 10/23/2006 2:07 PM, Blogger Tina said...

I missed this post!!!

DUDE!

You're BACK!

 
At 10/28/2006 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't checked in for so long because of Palov's Dog. That was a great post.
Karma is such deception.
Keep writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home