Thursday, December 08, 2005

A funny convo...

Last night, I took Caedmon to church. It was just he and I. What follows is the exact conversation we had.

*while backing out of the garage*

Caedmon: Oh, look dad, the moon!

Me: Yep, pretty neat.

Caedmon: Are there aliens on the moon?

Me: Nope, there aren't any aliens on the moon. But you know what? A while ago, there were some people who took a spaceship and landed on the moon.

Caedmon: Why'd they do that, dad? To see the aliens?

Me: No, they landed their spaceship on the moon, got out, and drove around and collected rocks.

Caedmon: But they didn't see the aliens.

Me: No, aliens aren't real.

Caedmon: Aliens aren't real? How do you know.

Me: Well, have you ever seen an alien?

Caedmon: No.

Me: Well, there you go. Aliens aren't real.

*some time passes, Caedmon thinks*

Caedmon: Dad?

Me: Yes?

Caedmon: Are Pop Tarts real?

Me: *supressing a laugh* Well, have you ever seen a Pop Tart?

Caedmon: Yes.

Me: Well there you go. Pop Tarts are real.

Caedmon: Cool. So aliens aren't real but Pop Tarts are real.

*pulling up to the church*

Me: Yep. Aliens aren't real, Pop Tarts are real. Do you remember your verse?

Caedmon: "She gave birth to a son."

Me: Good job. See you later.

Apparently, there is a Pop Tart commercial with aliens and the moon? So, I guess in light of that, the conversation makes perfect sense. To my benefit, I just didn't know that at the time.

5 Comments:

At 12/08/2005 8:37 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Now, in a few years, Caedmon will challenge you even more:
So, is the air real? I can't see that. Is God real? I can't see Him. Dad, how do you KNOW aliens aren't real????

 
At 12/08/2005 2:41 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Yeah, I thought he was going to pop off with a, "Well, I've never seen Jesus, so is He real?" But then I remembered it's Caedmon. And the Pop-Tarts made sense. He's way too cute and getting SO big.

 
At 12/09/2005 7:41 AM, Blogger iridium said...

I just thought it was funny how his little mind was thinking. Moon, aliens, Pop Tarts. What more is there to life for a 4 year old than that?

We forget, his faith in God is a given. He has no doubts about the fact that God exists. His doubting will be acquired later in life.

And that's the beauty of the analogy. Have you ever seen God? Yep, Caedmon, every day.

 
At 12/09/2005 10:55 AM, Blogger Angela said...

That is true - he's never been given a reason to doubt. Nor should he be. And neither have we, truth be told. Our choice to doubt is a downward spiral when in reality, the evidence of God is all around us. I love kids - they are the best in all of us.

 
At 12/14/2005 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I love that part in that D.C. Talk song where the guy says, "Have you ever seen the wind? I've never seen the wind, but I've seen the effects of the wind." or something like that.
This entry reminds me of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home